Acetyl-L Carnitine (ALCAR ALC, LAC or) is a synthesized form of L-Carnitine. It is a derivative of the amino acids Lysine as well as methionine..
ALCAR can be more bioavailable than L-Carnitine. It is able to cross through the brain-blood barrier. It also delivers L-Carnitine through cell membranes (which it wouldn’t be capable of crossing by itself).
L-Carnitine is a natural substance that is produced by your kidneys and liver. It is then transferred to other tissues, including your heart and brain.
- Brain Energy Metabolism. ALCAR assists in the transport of fat acids into mitochondria which are required to regulate energy metabolism. The fueling of your cells “power plants” can increase mental and physical energy.
- Neurotransmitters. ALCAR is an essential component of the process of acetylcholine creation. It improves the memory of people, their mental alertness, and fluid thinking.
- Brain Optimization. The antioxidant properties of Acetyl-L Carnitine enhance neuroprotection, and boost the brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF), and improves the circulation of cerebral blood.
The amino acid L-Carnitine that’s produced by your body. It is also found in dairy products and red meat.
L-Carnitine is regarded as to be a “conditionally vital” nutrient due to the fact that your body utilizes it more than it is able to produce it, you require supplemental L-Carnitine, either through food or as a supplement.
L-Carnitine is utilized throughout the body. We’re talking about L-Carnitine in the Acetyl-L Carnitine version of L-Carnitine due to its effects on the brain’s health and chemical chemistry.
L-Carnitine vs Acetyl-L-Carnitine: What’s the difference?
Acetyl-L-Carnitine and L-Carnitine are commonly called Carnitine. However, they are structurally distinct and have their own advantages.
L-Carnitine provides energy to mitochondria in your cells, but it is not able to cross the blood brain barrier. L-Carnitine supplements are difficult to be absorbed by your body and only 18% of it gets into your bloodstream.
L-Carnitine is popular with those who are athletes or dieters looking for the benefits of fat metabolism. However, they aren’t looking for any benefits for the brain.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine is more easily absorbed and utilized by the body than L-Carnitine. A study found that taking 2 grams of it daily for 50 days increased ALCAR levels in blood by 43 percent.
ALCAR is able to do everything L-Carnitine can, but it does also penetrate the blood-brain barrier. In a different study, researchers discovered that ALCAR helps protect the brain’s cells against oxidative stress, unlike L-Carnitine, which does not.
What is the function of Acetyl-L-Carnitine within the brain?
Acetyl-L-Carnitine improves brain health and function in a variety of ways. Two of them are notable.
- ALCAR boosts acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter tied to memory and overall brain function.Acetyl-L-Carnitine is a precursor to acetylcholine in the presence of Coenzyme-A. ALCAR provides an “methyl compound” to create Acetylcholine.
Alzheimer’s diseased brains have an increase of 25% to 40% decrease in carnitine Acetyltransferase, an enzyme in the brain that functions in conjunction with the L-Carnitine & Acetyl-L-Carnitine.
The decline in brain enzymes has led to researchers identifying the low ALCAR with low Acetylcholine and the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. They then suggested ALCAR as a possible treatment to help the brain regenerate.
- ALCAR helps to increase the brain’s energy by supplying the mitochondria in your brain cells.
ALCAR acts as an organelle for transporting the fatty acids across cell membranes. Directly to the cell’s power plant mitochondria.
- As ALCAR moves fat acids through mitochondria, it creates the fuel needed to burn to generate energy.
- As ALCAR moves fat acids through mitochondria and flushes harmful byproducts.
ALCAR keeps mitochondria functioning in almost every cell in your body. The brain uses about 20 percent of the energy you use. It also produces a variety of harmful byproducts. Therefore, ALCAR is a must to ensure the health of your brain.
As we age the brain’s chemical and energy metabolism change.
- Nerve growth factor in the brain decreases
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine levels decline
- Acetylcholine levels decline
- Mitochondria loses efficiency
All of these changes associated with aging contribute to neurodegenerative illnesses of aging, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s.
The research conducted by the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University has shown that Acetyl-L-Carnitine can:
- Restore mitochondrial energy production in a sustainable way.
- Restore mitochondrial structure
- Restore ALCAR and acetylcholine levels in the body and brain
ALCAR’s have the capability to increase acetylcholine levels and regenerate the brain’s cells (including mitochondria). It has been demonstrated to be beneficial for people suffering from dementia-related brain disorders such as Major depression and Alzheimer’s.
A study on animals that was conducted at New Delhi showed that Acetyl L-Carnitine decreases lipofuscin levels in the brain’s cortex and hippocampus, the thalamus and striatum.
What does Acetyl-L-Carnitine do?
It is possible to not be feeling the ALCAR… If you’re old or suffer from Erectile Dysfunction. Within these specific categories, Acetyl-L-Carnitine aids in mood, memory mental performance, and the ability to maintain and get an erection.
The brain-supporting properties of ALCAR and ability to power mitochondria in the brain cells will improve cognition across all ages and gender categories.
ALCAR is a nootropic. ALCAR reviews of users report an increase in energy and speed of thinking.
Researchers in one research study demonstrated that ALCAR could be able to have beneficial effects on dementia and depression.
Another study was conducted in Italy Researchers found Acetyl-L-Carnitine stimulated the development of neurites. The more of these tiny projections of nerve cells resulted in an increase in the signaling among cells in the nervous system central (brain and the spinal cord)
A study carried out by the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York found that ALCAR could be a viable treatment for signs associated with Parkinson’s Disease. Through directly affecting mitochondrial respiration, and supporting dopamine neurons, and the usage for dopamine within the brain.
ALCAR can help those suffering from Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
A gold-standard double-blind, random controlled study of 1,204 participants demonstrated a significant impact on mental performance, attention memory, and other cognitive functions.
In this study, ALCAR was found to prevent the further deterioration of the brain. It could also be considered a treatment for degeneration of the brain.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine slows the rate in cognitive decline
130 patients with Alzheimer’s disease were treated with ALCAR or placebo every day for a whole year. They were tested on 14 cognitive points.
The study showed a less rapid decline in cognitive performance for the ALCAR group as compared to those in the placebo.
ALCAR is effective for chronic fatigue syndrome
Acetyl-L-Carnitine is known to reduce the fatigue of patients suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome.
In a double-blind, randomized crossover study, 36 patients were treated for three months using or amantadine (used to treat Chronic Fatigue), or 1 gram of ALCAR twice every day.
The study’s results revealed that ALCAR was more well-tolerated and was more effective than medication to treat tiredness.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine helps protect against the oxidative effects of Ecstasy (MDMA)
Research has proven ALCAR to be efficient in defending mitochondria from the effects of oxidative stress. However, these researchers went one step higher.
Male rats were treated with Acetyl-L-Carnitine prior to a dose of Ecstasy (MDMA). ALCAR treatment “exerts an effective protection against the neurotoxicity induced by MDMA on the level of mitochondria” according to the research team.
ALCAR for Erectile Dysfunction?
The study involved 120 participants were divided into three groups. The first group was given the equivalent of 160 mg testosterone each day. The 2nd group was given 2 grams of Propionyl-L-Carnitine plus 2 grams of Acetyl-L-Carnitine per day. The 3 3rd group was given a placebo.
Did you know that exists an International Index of Erectile Function?
Turns out the Propionyl-L-Carnitine/Acetyl-L-Carnitine stack was better than testosterone for erectile dysfunction. It is free of the negative side effects associated with an overly large prostate, it gives better gasps, greater sexual desire, and better mental state.
- The recommended dosage of Acetyl-L-Carnitine for cognitive benefits is 1 to 4 grams daily.
- To improve mood and get rid of fatigue chronic, take 1 3 – three grams ALCAR daily. day.
- For memory issues related to age For memory issues related to age, take 1 – two grams ALCAR daily. day.
ALCAR is water-soluble and may be consumed on an empty stomach by drinking water. Some supplement companies recommend taking their Acetyl-L-Carnitine during meals. This implies that it’s fat-soluble, but I’ve not found any evidence in the literature of science.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine Side Effects
Acetyl-L-Carnitine is a natural substance produced by the body. It is therefore considered to be well-tolerated and secure.
The effects of side effects are not common, but may include nausea, vomiting and agitation.
Acetyl L-Carnitine Weight Loss
Other ALCAR side effects include the loss of weight, and restlessness.
There is also an increase in the frequency of seizures when you suffer from any type seizures disorder.
Types of ALCAR to buy
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine L-Carnitine that has an additional acetyl group. This form is more bioavailable and is able to cross the blood brain barrier.
- L-Carnitine It is the most common form of carnitine that is found in food.
- Lipo-Carn (r) A unique blend of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Alpha-Lipoic Acid. Research has proven that this combination to be a potent anti-aging combination.Together, they help fight diabetes, increase energy production, and maintain cognitive function, and protects the body from chemical and radiation toxic substances and boosts to boost immunity.
- Propionyl-L-Carnitine: L-Carnitine combined with propionic acid. This type of supplement is noted for its antioxidant properties and is utilized to improve heart health. It is also beneficial for erectile dysfunction.
- Biosint(tm) is a pharmaceutical grade Acetyl-L-Carnitine which is produced by Sigma Tau HealthSciences in Italy through Sigma Tau HealthSciences
Acetyl-L-Carnitine 500 – 1,500 mg per day
We suggest using Acetyl-L-Carnitine for an nootropic supplement.
The body can synthesize ALCAR by itself. It is also a result of food items you consume. However, the majority of Acetyl-L-Carnitine is derived in red meat. If you don’t consume a lot of high grass-fed meat or Mutton…
ALCAR is particularly beneficial for people suffering from cognitive decline. Research has shown that it can stop or reverse the process of brain degeneration that is associated that is associated with Alzheimer’s Disease, and depressive disorders. Particularly in the initial phases of Alzheimer’s Disease.
We recommend starting with a dose of 500 mg per day. ALCAR is an excellent addition to a stack that includes Piracetam. Include a source of choline (Alpha GPC, or CDP-Choline) in a ratio of 1:4. 1 Gram of Alpha GPC to 4 grams of Piracetam. Choline is a good supplement to get rid of the racetam-induced headache. Then add 500 mg of ALCAR.
Certain studies have shown that ALCAR when combined with Coenzyme Q-10 can have a significant impact in everything from moods to bipolar disorders. Particularly when combined with Alpha-Lipoic acid.
Cognitive disorders that are a result of age, such as Alzheimer’s might require increasing the dosage to 1,500 mg daily.